LFS cloning

David Wilson David.Wilson at mbf.com.au
Wed Feb 11 17:12:42 PST 2004

If you are using LFS along side a host system with LFS on a seperate
partition, you shouldn't need to pass any special switches to tar.
Just cd to the root of the LFS and run "tar -jcvf <TAR DEST FILE> ."

If you just have the one system, you could try a live CD. Otherwise,
just make sure to exclude any mounts that aren't part of LFS including
/proc, such as network mounts, usb mounts etc. and place the tar file on
another partition or network mount.

David

>>> bob.snyder at cox.net 02/11/04 02:54pm >>>
David Wilson wrote:

>The easiest way is to tar/bzip2 it up and copy it to another
>computer/partition. Make sure you exclude the /proc directory.
>
>I have saved a few versions of lfs this and copied them all to a
>bootable CD. I then boot up with the CD, mount the hard drive,
>uncompress the tar file and voila.
>

>David

>Hi,
>
>I would like to clone my LFS system from the desktop onto my laptop
>(assume an empty hard drive on the laptop).  Is there a way of doing
>that?

Considering that tar has lots of switches and some affect things that
could be problematic, such as symlinks and permissions, could you offer

a full command line for tar that does The Right Thing (tm).

Thanks,

Bob S.

This email contains confidential information intended
only for the addressee.  If you received it in error,
please inform us by reply email or by calling us from
Australia on 131 137 or Internationally on 612 93239500.
Please also delete this email and destroy any hard copy.
You must not disclose or use the information in this email.