LFS 5.0: autoconf/automake problems ?

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Feb 11 10:05:36 PST 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, lanas wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
>   I've installed LFS since 3.0 but this 5.0 surely gives the more work.  But
> it's of course quite interesting to learn.  So I've got the chap 5 done and
> up to glibc Chap 6.  Compiling dummy.c after installing glibc gives good
> results.  So I go on...
>
>   First trap: findutils requires autoconf/automake.  chrooted in this
> environment where no such utility exists, this is a bit strange.  I mean, how
> can you get the book to install in the first place under such auspices ?  I
> took the findutils from 5.1 and any patch it needs, if any.  No dice, I had
> to go back to findutils 4.1 which builds all right.

 You sound as if you're playing mix and match with package versions,
which is generally a bad idea, but I'm not quite sure if I understand you
correctly.  Are you saying findutils-4.1.20 (no patch) doesn't build for
you ?  As far as I can remember, it is the same version in LFS-5.0 and
LFS-5.1-pre1.  Usually, something requiring autoconf/automake means
either that you've edited some of the files or that you've pulled the
development version of it from CVS.  You don't sound as if you've been
doing that.

>   Second trap: gettext.  Same thing.  I switched to newest, 0.14, same thing,
> So again I went back to an older version, 0.11.5.  But this time it gives a
> "Can't locate POSIX.pm"/help2man error like this:
>
> Can't locate POSIX.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
> /tools/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i686-linux
> /tools/lib/perl5/5.8.0 /tools/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i686-linux
> /tools/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /tools/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at ./help2man
> line 27.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./help2man line 27.

[ 0.14 will give you grief in the c# test.]  5.1-pre1 is on 0.14.1,
but you ought to be able to use the version in the 5.0 book.  Check your
perl include directories (the ones you've listed here).  Do they exist ?
If they do exist, is POSIX.pm there, and if so is it readable ?  Might
be a typo when you installed perl, I did something similar the other
day.

>   And I'm presently stuck there.  Before going on, I'd really like to know
> what's the source of the problem with the auto utilities.  If I go on I feel
> like using a bigger hammer, which is not what I like best. My first reaction
> was, all right, I'll install these auto utilities in the environment, no
> sweat, but this does not answer the existence of the 5.0 book which has been
> proven to been built successfully without them in sight.
>
>   So something is squarely wrong somewhere and I can't locate it.  I've looked
> at some solutions doing a search in the mailing lists archives, but none
> seems to apply.  I'd really like some light on this matter, thanks a lot.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Al

 I don't think we can help you on autoconf/automake without the evidence
from the failing build (typically, config.log).  Depending on your
answers for perl, maybe you can just move stuff to the correct directory
and go forward, or maybe you'll need to go back, at least to perl.  Any
time a build fails, look at any logs or other files you have which can
give you a clue.  It might be that a program used in the configure
scripts is missing or broken.

Ken
--
Brighton tops UK Jedi league