LFS 5.0: autoconf/automake problems ?

lanas lanas at t-online.de
Wed Feb 11 09:00:41 PST 2004

Hello everyone,

  I've installed LFS since 3.0 but this 5.0 surely gives the more work.  But
it's of course quite interesting to learn.  So I've got the chap 5 done and
up to glibc Chap 6.  Compiling dummy.c after installing glibc gives good
results.  So I go on...

  First trap: findutils requires autoconf/automake.  chrooted in this
environment where no such utility exists, this is a bit strange.  I mean, how
can you get the book to install in the first place under such auspices ?  I
took the findutils from 5.1 and any patch it needs, if any.  No dice, I had
to go back to findutils 4.1 which builds all right.

  Second trap: gettext.  Same thing.  I switched to newest, 0.14, same thing,
So again I went back to an older version, 0.11.5.  But this time it gives a
"Can't locate POSIX.pm"/help2man error like this:

Can't locate POSIX.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/tools/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i686-linux
/tools/lib/perl5/5.8.0 /tools/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i686-linux
/tools/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /tools/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at ./help2man
line 27.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./help2man line 27.

  And I'm presently stuck there.  Before going on, I'd really like to know
what's the source of the problem with the auto utilities.  If I go on I feel
like using a bigger hammer, which is not what I like best. My first reaction
was, all right, I'll install these auto utilities in the environment, no
sweat, but this does not answer the existence of the 5.0 book which has been
proven to been built successfully without them in sight.

  So something is squarely wrong somewhere and I can't locate it.  I've looked
at some solutions doing a search in the mailing lists archives, but none
seems to apply.  I'd really like some light on this matter, thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Al