grub Error 15: File not found

Barry Sharpe bsharpe at cre.gov.uk
Wed Feb 11 08:10:34 PST 2004

>>> ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net 11/02/2004 15:22:04 >>>
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Barry Sharpe wrote:

 I think maybe Meher has answered your problem, i.e. /boot (hda1) isn't
mounted (or else you haven't copied the grub files to it).  Not
attempting to answer the detail on stage files, I don't know.  I can
>tell you that there doesn't seem to be any need to recompile the kernel
>- within grub's setup you pass parameters such as root= to each kernel
>you have there, you can easily have four systems on different partitions
>and (leaving aside /lib/modules) one kernel could boot into all of them
>(not recommended, but possible).

>Ken

Thanks Ken,

i received Mehers reply after i had sent a reply to your post.

I now have mounted (hd0,0) copied the grub files to it and then issued the
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

all the files were found and grub did a final copy of my menu.lst file. and ended on a succeed

i have now rebooted and my new shiny menu displays but nothing unfortunatly boots. it just returns me to the menu and gives me options to edit the command or go to a command line at which point i get a
grub> prompt

i shall have to have a look around and see what options i have within the grub enviroment to get my system back.

steep learning curve ahead methinks

Thanks for your help

barry

the system manager.