grub Error 15: File not found

Barry Sharpe bsharpe at cre.gov.uk
Wed Feb 11 04:15:48 PST 2004

I am trying to complete the "Making the LFS system bootable"

the boot disk creation goes through no errors.

However when i run the grub shell i issue  the root  (hd0,3)
and then the setup (hd0)

at which point i get the following error

Checking if "boot/grub/stage1" exists...no
Checking if "/grub/satge1" exists...no

Error 15: File not found

I know the files exist as i have checked

i run cfdisk and get the following display

hda1         boot       primary     linux ext3      [/boot1]          106.93
hda2                       primary     linux ext3      [/1]                  5239.51
hda3                       primary     linux swap                             534.65
hda4                       primary     linux ext2                              14139.26

LFS is on hda4 i am not concearned about retaining my RH9 distro as at some point i would like too destroy those partitions and get them ready for  LFS 5.1 or a similar project.

I have no grub.conf in the grub directory at present my fstab file reads as follows

# Begin /etc/fstab

/dev/hda4     /                     e2fs        default                      1         1
/dev/hda3    swap               swap       pri=1                        0         0
proc              /proc               proc        defaults                    0         0
devpts          /dev/pts         devpts    gid=4,mode=620      0        0
shm              /dev/shm         tmpfs      defaults                    0         0
usbfs           /proc/bus/usb  usbfs       defaults                    0         0

I have created a .boot symlink in \boot pointing to itself.
any help would be appreciated.

barry

the system manager.

postmaster at cre.gov.uk