Strange network behaviour

Paul Sprakes pauls at sprakes.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 03:42:21 PST 2004

Please help!

I have 2 Linux boxes both connected to the same adsl router:

10.0.0.1 is running (B)LFS 5
10.0.0.3 is Mandrake 9.1

In general the network connection on the LFS box seems fine, however when
trying to download the Java SDK from java.sun.com (in fact any download link
at javashoplm.sun.com) I get connection timeouts.

If I try the same thing on the Mandrake box it works fine.

I have tried downloading with Konqueror, Links the text browser and passing
the URL to wget and they all timeout. Here is the output to wget:

wget
http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&PartDetailId=j2sdk-1.4.2_03-oth-JPR&SiteId=JSC&TransactionId=noreg

--11:38:54--  http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22
           => `Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22'
Resolving javashoplm.sun.com...
[root at sprakes /home/paul/downloads/traceroute-1.4a12]# done.
Connecting to javashoplm.sun.com[192.18.97.204]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Moved Temporarily
Location:
http://jsecom16a.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&LMLoadBalanced=
[following]
--11:38:55--
http://jsecom16a.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&LMLoadBalanced=
           => `Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&LMLoadBalanced='
Resolving jsecom16a.sun.com... done.
Connecting to jsecom16a.sun.com[192.18.97.51]:80... failed: Connection timed
out.
Retrying.

So, what could be the difference between the two machines?

Cheers, Paul.