Network Interface: link down

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Feb 10 12:10:13 PST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Dirk Kleinschmidt wrote:

> Hallo everyone,
>
> While running my LFS 5.1-pre1 the following message appears from time to
> time (about 15 mins between the messages)
>
> > eth0: link down
> > eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
>
> In the /var/log/kern.log file I find the lines
>
> Feb 10 19:03:00 linux kernel: eth0: link down
> Feb 10 19:03:04 linux kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa
> 0x41E1
> Feb 10 19:03:05 linux kernel: eth0: link down
> Feb 10 19:03:07 linux kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa
> 0x41E1
>
> Any ideas what that means? Why does the network-card go down regularly?

 Looks like it keeps losing the connection.  There are a number of
different config options for rtl8139too.  Maybe try playing with these
options [ PIO, rev K, older boards, older RX-reset method ].  In this
situation, using a module might be beneficial (it might save you from
having to reboot to try different options, just change the config, make
clean, recompile bzImage and modules, make modules_install, modprobe).

> I'm using (as you may think) kernel 2.4.24 with realtek 8139 pci
> ethernet card support compiled in the kernel (not a module). I've got
> two network cards in my lfs-box running with this driver. Eth0 is
> connected to a network and running. Ping works fine with my notebook
> (both ways)
> eth1 is not connected at the moment to any network but is up as ifconfig
> tells me.
>
> Regards,
> Dirk

HTH.