Can't locate module char-major-4

Christian Lescuyer cl at goelette.net
Tue Feb 10 09:31:10 PST 2004

Thanks a lot Jim,

> Chris, you need to add it to /etc/modprobe.conf since the new module
> utilities don't use modules.conf. Here is a sample modprobe.conf you can
> download

I tried, and it still doesn't work.

*Then* I did my homework, and I seem to understand that modprobe is used
with kernels 2.5 and 2.6?

I'm still using kernel 2.4.22. I've built with nALFS from profile 3, so it
should be quite standard. The trouble began (I think) when I tried to tweak
my kernel config to get DMA on my hard disk. It worked, but I must have
broken something else...

I must admit that, having built LFS 3 and LFS 4 in the past, I've not read
book 5 in details. But I can't find anything new about modules there. Also,
serial.o seems to be in the right place:

root at maske 18:01:54> find /usr -name serial.o
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/char/serial.o

Cheers
Xtian