Strange badblocks error - is this a problem?

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Mon Feb 9 05:33:38 PST 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Rainer Peter Feller wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Joel Miller wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 12:48:57 +0100, Rainer Peter Feller
> > Rainer, you should read the thread he cited in the beginning. It was
> > determined that running badblocks would always report the last few
> > (usually 3 as in this case) blocks as bad given certain conditions with
> > partition and filesystem endings in different places or something like
> > that. It does not appear to be an indication of a bad drive. I am no
> > hardware expert by any means, but thats what I pulled from that thread
> > when it was originally on this list.
>
> hm ... is doing badblocks on a partitition whise? man page says yes ...
> what happens with badblocks on a partitition of a lba disc?

N/A. Badblocks, as implemented here, is just a sequential read (option
r/w) of all the blocks and creating a list for mke2fs to use.

It is *not* similar to the old IDE stuff with alternate tracks allocated
for auto-reassignment of bad blocks and a bad block map that was
maintained in a special area of the drive.

BTW, there was a similar thread on LFS about 2 years back with the same
results. The drive was good and the errors are in the *logic* somewhere
(either kernel or apps, not sure which).

> CUH Rainer Peter Feller

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet