Strange badblocks error - is this a problem?

Rainer Peter Feller rainer at maren.desy.de
Mon Feb 9 03:48:57 PST 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Tom Clerckx wrote:

> Hello I read the thread about "Strange bad blocks" on:
> http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2004-January/021926.html
>

> >From what I understand from it, this appears when the size of the partition
> is not a multiple of the block size, right?
>

> Now, I checked this on my gentoo system and I get the same bad block errors:
> ===================================
> Checking for bad blocks in read-only mode
> >From block 0 to 41945683
> 41945680
> 41945681
> 41945682
> Pass completed, 3 bad blocks found.
> ===================================
>
> Now I want to know if this bad block error is harmfull to my system or not?
> Do you think I should re-partition the disk, so the partition size is N x
> blocksize, with N being a positive integer number?
>
> Greetings, Tom Clerckx.

you should back up EVERYTHING from this crapy disc, return it to the shop
where you got it from and ask for replacement ASAP!
three bad blocks are not much, but it tells one that the hotfixcylinder(s)
is (are) already used and the lifecicle of this disk has been over since
three blocks ...

CUH Rainer Peter Feller