util-linux 2.12 -- Mount / loop error

Joel Miller cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu
Mon Feb 9 00:38:56 PST 2004

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 09:27:02 +0100 (CET), John PAUL <john.paul at wanadoo.fr>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I got this error message when I compiled mount from util-linux.
> I'm using, LFS 5.1 with kernel 2.6.1 headers.
> Is there a patch to apply ?
<snip>

Short Answer:
Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES use 2.6.x kernel headers in userspace and expect
programs to compile/work correctly.

Long Answer:
There is a patch to util-linux that will let it compile against 2.6.x
headers, but you still should not be using raw 2.6.x headers unless you
want to go around manually sanitizing said headers by yourself. Your best
bet is to use "sanitized headers" in userspace for programs to compile
against. There are a few different sets of sanitized headers but the more
commonly used one is the set provided by the fedora project. If you are
intent on using a 2.6.x kernel with the current LFS book then you need to
read the hint on hints.linuxfromscratch.org that covers doing so. You may
also want to follow the lfs-hackers mailinglist as they are actively
developing on 2.6.x systems and also using things like NPTL with glibc
instead of linuxthreads.

--
Registered LFS User 6929
Registered Linux User 298182