Problem with kernel build

J.Paul Rinehimer rinehime at bc.edu
Sun Feb 8 15:56:14 PST 2004

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 22:35:14 +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:

>  So, you have enabled the kernel to load modules, and you have run `make
> modules_install'.  But did you select anything as a module in your
> config ?  My guess is you didn't, so trying to install non-existent
> modules is bound to fail.  If I'm wrong with this guess, can you see
> your modules in your build tree, and in /lib/modules/... ?

I selected a number of modules actually, can't remember what they were off
the top of my head (driver for 3com card, vfat, bunch of others).  Because
the error occurs durning the modules_post phase of the install, they're
residing in /lib/modules/..., so they have been moved into the correct
directory and installed.

>  BTW, I think an empty modules.conf won't do what you've said.  For some
> modules, the kernel knows what to look for (e.g. filesystems) and may
> find them from modules.dep.  In any case, if a module was correctly
> built and modules.dep knows about it, I would not be surprised if trying
> to manually modprobe it succeeded.
>
> Ken

Also, modules.dep does not exist. This is created with depmod, right? That
would make sense b/c depmod is not properly executing during the make:

(from Makefile for Linux-2.4.24)
_modinst_post: _modinst_post_pcmcia
	if [ -r System.map ]; then $(DEPMOD) -ae -F System.map $(depmod_opts)
	$(KERNELRELEASE); fiif [ -r System.map ]; then $(DEPMOD) -ae -F
	System.map $(depmod_opts)

Depmod runs because the file exists, but fails because System.map has no
data.  If I patched this portion of the makefile to read from /proc/ksyms
(within the chroot'd environment) would it work properly? I can't just get
rid of the -F flag b/c the running kernel is a different version than the
one being compiled.  Would /proc/ksyms be the appropriate set of symbols,
or would it just be a copy from the host?

I tried booting the system and it worked, except for an error about
modules.dep not being around.  I didn't try loading any modules though.

jpr