Problem with kernel build

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun Feb 8 14:35:14 PST 2004

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, J.Paul Rinehimer wrote:

> "Thomas Morgenthaler" <tmwhvch at gmx.de> wrote in message
> news:4026ABEF.6060902 at gmx.de...
>
>  It's that the System.map file is
> completely empty, which is the reason why when depmod is run through make
> modules_install it reaches an EOF early - the file is basically just an EOF.
> Here's the originally error again:

 First off, I agree with you about space.

> mkdir -p pcmcia; \
> find kernel -path '*/pcmcia/*' -name '*.o' | xargs -i -r ln -sf ../{} pcmcia

 This is absolutely standard, giving compatability with old-style pcmcia
stuff.

> if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map  2.4.24; fi
> depmod: premature EOF on System.map
> make: *** [_modinst_post] Error 1
>
> Also, during the kernel config, I didn't check any options for pcmcia
> support....
> But I did check options for loadable kernel modules.  Also, modules.conf was
> created and left blank, which should just mean that no modules can be loaded
> with modprobe.

 So, you have enabled the kernel to load modules, and you have run `make
modules_install'.  But did you select anything as a module in your
config ?  My guess is you didn't, so trying to install non-existent
modules is bound to fail.  If I'm wrong with this guess, can you see
your modules in your build tree, and in /lib/modules/... ?

 BTW, I think an empty modules.conf won't do what you've said.  For some
modules, the kernel knows what to look for (e.g. filesystems) and may
find them from modules.dep.  In any case, if a module was correctly
built and modules.dep knows about it, I would not be surprised if trying
to manually modprobe it succeeded.

Ken
--
Brighton tops UK Jedi league