Problem with kernel build

J.Paul Rinehimer rinehime at bc.edu
Sun Feb 8 14:10:35 PST 2004

"Thomas Morgenthaler" <tmwhvch at gmx.de> wrote in message
news:4026ABEF.6060902 at gmx.de...

> The disk space on the host system, its doesn't matter. I mean the
> i-nodes from /dev/hdb1. You use 2607656 from 3023608 kb.
> T.M.

Right, /dev/hdb1 is the host system (The latest version of Fedora, BTW).
Sorry, I guess I didn't make it clear /dev/hdb3 was the LFS system.  The df
was run through the host system, so everything showed up.  Both of them are
using ext3.

I still haven't had a chance to go home and check the inodes, but there
should be plenty on a clean LFS install with a 14GB partition.  The
System.map file exists (and, if I understand the inodes correctly, the inode
associated with it should exist as well). It's that the System.map file is
completely empty, which is the reason why when depmod is run through make
modules_install it reaches an EOF early - the file is basically just an EOF.
Here's the originally error again:

mkdir -p pcmcia; \
find kernel -path '*/pcmcia/*' -name '*.o' | xargs -i -r ln -sf ../{} pcmcia
if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map  2.4.24; fi
depmod: premature EOF on System.map
make: *** [_modinst_post] Error 1

Also, during the kernel config, I didn't check any options for pcmcia
support....
But I did check options for loadable kernel modules.  Also, modules.conf was
created and left blank, which should just mean that no modules can be loaded
with modprobe.  The underlying problem is that depmod is trying to link to
the (basically) noexistent System.map file and failing.  As I noted above, I
should have enough space on the LFS system, but I'll check the inodes later
this evening.

thanks
jpr