GRUB setup

Kevin Alm kevinalm at shenessex.heartland.net
Tue Feb 3 15:57:16 PST 2004

> > title SuSE
> >
> > root (hd?,?)  this should point to the partition where menu.lst, stage1,
> > stage2, etc. reside.
>
> I thought, in the menu.lst 'root (hd?,?)' should point to the root
> partition of the OS.  Is there a difference between the menu.lst syntax
>
> root (hd0,2)
> kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz
>
> and
>
> kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=(hd0,2) ?

In grub's menu.lst syntax

root (hd0,2) points to menu.lst, stage1, stage2, etc, _not_ to the partion
where / resides.

You tell the kernel what to mount as / on the kernel line just like lilo

kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz   root=hdmn

hdmn being the standard linux designation hda1, hda2, hde1 wherever / is. (m a
letter a through h n the parition number.

> I experimented with grub shell a little and I think I was able to boot my
> LFS system typing both
>
> root (hd1,1)
> kernel (hd1,1)/boot/lfskernel
>
> and
>
> kernel=(hd1,1)/boot/lfskernel root=(hd1,1)
>
> So I thought that the two command sets are identical.
>
> If I type
>
> root (hd1,1)
> kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz
>
> How is the loader going to know that the host system root partition is
> (hd0,2)?  Or is it where initrd comes into play? Should I type
>
> root (hd1,1)
> kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz
> initrd (hd0,1)/initrd ?

You may need an initrd line. The initrd contains boot necessary modules, for
example if your suse kernel has reiserfs as a module and your suse / is
reiserfs.

You're correct, you only need one installation of grub.