Problems compiling Perl LFS 5.0 chapter 5

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Feb 3 13:05:25 PST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Marco Teeuwen wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> can anybody tell me what's going wrong here? I'm using a set of homegrown
> scripts to automate LFS compilation but I'm having trouble compiling Perl.
> On some systems it works, on others it doesn't. The host systems all use
> SuSE 8.2 or 9.0.
>

> Use which C compiler? [cc]
> /tools/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1/../../../../i586-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
> cannot find -lc
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> Uh-oh, the C compiler 'cc' doesn't seem to be working.

Well, -lc translates into "link against libc.so".  It should be present
in /tools/lib.  Trouble is, most of chapter 5 ought to have been linked
against it, all the way from "locking in glibc".

> gcc is installed, but it still complains about it. I think some RPM is
> missing, but I can't seem to find out what it is.
>
> Any help?
>
> Thanx,
> Marco Teeuwen

 You've said you are writing scripts, so my main assumption is that
something in the scripts is wrong.  Do you have /tools/lib/libc.so ?
Exceptionally, it's an ascii ld script, if you cat it you can see the
reference to /tools/lib/libc.so.6.

 If that's missing, you've got big problems.  If it's present, have you
linked against it up to now ?  For example, does `ldd /tools/bin/bash'
show it linking to /tools/lib/libncurses.so.5, /tools/lib/libdl.so.2,
/tools/lib/libc.so.6, and /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2 ?

 You're doing this on multiple boxes : when it works, have you
successfully built chapter 6 or are you trying to do them all together ?
If you have got past this, what is different about either your methods
or the host installations ?  They're your scripts, and only you know how
you've used them, I'm trying to ask questions to get you to consider
what might be involved.  Do you have any conditional processing - I know
it's dead easy to screw this up and be unaware until the odd case comes
along.  Good luck.

I'd be _very_ surprised if this problem is caused by something missing
on some of the hosts, perl is usually ok at checking for what it needs.

Ken
--
Brighton tops UK Jedi league