Problems compiling Perl LFS 5.0 chapter 5

Marco Teeuwen marco at mctrex.net
Tue Feb 3 11:43:25 PST 2004

Hi guys,

can anybody tell me what's going wrong here? I'm using a set of homegrown
scripts to automate LFS compilation but I'm having trouble compiling Perl.
On some systems it works, on others it doesn't. The host systems all use
SuSE 8.2 or 9.0.

This is the relevant part of the Perl script:

PATCH1=perl-5.8.0-libc-3.patch

if [ -f ../$PATCH1 ]; then
    patch -Np1 -i ../$PATCH1
fi

chmod u+w hints/linux.sh &&
echo 'static_ext="IO re Fcntl"' >> hints/linux.sh &&
./configure.gnu --prefix=/tools &&
make perl utilities &&
cp perl pod/pod2man /tools/bin &&
mkdir -p /tools/lib/perl5/5.8.0 &&
cp -R lib/* /tools/lib/perl5/5.8.0

Exactly as in the book as I can tell. Perl starts compiling but after a
while it exits with this output:

patching file hints/linux.sh
sh Configure -ds -e -Dprefix=/tools
First let's make sure your kit is complete.  Checking...
Locating common programs...
Checking compatibility between /bin/echo and builtin echo (if any)...
Symbolic links are supported.
Checking how to test for symbolic links...
Your builtin 'test -h' may be broken.
Trying external '/usr/bin/test -h'.
You can test for symbolic links with '/usr/bin/test -h'.
Good, your tr supports [:lower:] and [:upper:] to convert case.
Using [:upper:] and [:lower:] to convert case.
3b1           dynix          isc_2         opus          super-ux
aix           dynixptx       linux         os2           svr4
altos486      epix           lynxos        os390         svr5
amigaos       esix4          machten       posix-bc      ti1500
apollo        fps            machten_2     powerux       titanos
atheos        freebsd        mint          qnx           ultrix_4
aux_3         genix          mips          rhapsody      umips
beos          gnu            mpc           sco           unicos
bsdos         greenhills     mpeix         sco_2_3_0     unicosmk
convexos      hpux           ncr_tower     sco_2_3_1     unisysdynix
cxux          i386           netbsd        sco_2_3_2     utekv
cygwin        irix_4         newsos4       sco_2_3_3     uts
darwin        irix_5         next_3        sco_2_3_4     uwin
dcosx         irix_6         next_3_0      solaris_2     vmesa
dec_osf       irix_6_0       next_4        stellar       vos
dgux          irix_6_1       nonstopux     sunos_4_0
dos_djgpp     isc            openbsd       sunos_4_1
Which of these apply, if any? [linux]

You don't have an ELF gcc.  I will use dld if possible.  If you are
using a version of DLD earlier than 3.2.6, or don't have it at all, you
should probably upgrade. If you are forced to use 3.2.4, you should
uncomment a couple of lines in hints/linux.sh and restart Configure so
that shared libraries will be disallowed.

Disabling ndbm.  This will generate a Whoa There message in Configure.
Read hints/linux.sh for further information.
Operating system name? [linux]
Operating system version? [2.4.19-4gb]
Build Perl for SOCKS? [n]
Use the PerlIO abstraction layer? [y]
Build a threading Perl? [n]
Build Perl for multiplicity? [n]
Use which C compiler? [cc]
/tools/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1/../../../../i586-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
cannot find -lc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Uh-oh, the C compiler 'cc' doesn't seem to be working.
/tools/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1/../../../../i586-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
cannot find -lc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Uh-oh, the C compiler 'cc' doesn't seem to be working.
You need to find a working C compiler.
Either (purchase and) install the C compiler supplied by your OS vendor,
or for a free C compiler try http://gcc.gnu.org/
I cannot continue any further, aborting.

gcc is installed, but it still complains about it. I think some RPM is
missing, but I can't seem to find out what it is.

Any help?

Thanx,
Marco Teeuwen