GRUB setup

Arkady Grudzinsky grudziar at linuxhightech.com
Tue Feb 3 09:19:20 PST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Harun Musa wrote:

> please setup GRUB on your host system
> no need to enter grub prompt just edit menu.lst
> & copy lfskernel to /boot partition (host)

Thanks, Harun.

The problem with this solution is that the host system was using LILO and
it is not bootable any more.

However, I managed to make my new system bootable.  First good news was
that I could load my "shiny LFS" using grub prompt loaded from a diskette.
Then I examined the install command that GRUB graciously prints out after
executing 'setup (hd0)'. I tried two changes to that install command.
First, in the clause 'd (hd0) (hd0)1+18', I replaced the blocklist with
the path name to my stage2: 'd (hd0) (hd1,1)/boot/grub/stage2'.  After
that, I was able to get GRUB prompt from the hard drive (no menu yet).
Second, I got rid of the arguments that patch the configuration file that
come after the "p".  And then -- "TA-DA!" the menu magically appears.

Now I have another problem.  I tried to add an item to GRUB menu for my
host system which resides on two partitions: hda1 (ext2, /boot) and hda3
(reiserfs, /).  In menu.lst, I entered

title SuSE
root (hd0,2)
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz

This produces grub error 18 (selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported
by BIOS) after execution of 'root (hd0,2)'.  Typing 'root (hd0,<TAB>' in
grub prompt gives me the same error when trying to recognize (hd0,2).
Error 18 explanation in GRUB info says that it happens when the hard drive
is too large for BIOS to handle.  No hint about how to fix it.  The
strange thing is that when I invoke GRUB shell from bash after I load the
LFS system, Error 18 no longer appears and partition (hd0,2) is correctly
recognized.  BIOS appears to be irrelevant in that case.

Does anyone know why I am getting this error?

I have a feeling that this problem has something to do with initrd which I
have to learn about.

Thanks.

Arkady.