more on definitions

weasel weasel at beyondnormal.org
Tue Feb 3 08:50:42 PST 2004

michael wrote:
> I had the same kind of concern as Henry when going through LFS,and i
> must say i still do not understand why the static linking at the
> beginning of the toolchain build,since the code that will get included
> will be the host's..ok,i get the idea of what is static and dynamic
> linking,there's a separate linker for each case,right,but what makes you
> decide between the two?I really think this should be better
> explained,since it seems to lie at the heart of the LFS method..could
> someone explain this as to a ten year old?Thanks,michael

Hi Michael,

Ten?  Wow....keep at it!!!

The reason that the ch5 tool chain is built staticly is so that once you
are finished building it, you no longer need access to the host libs and
the toolchain can stand on its own.  If you were to build this part
dynamically then you would need these host libraries to be available
during the build which is potentially dangerous.  Your host can files
can be overwritten, your build process could inadvertently use files
from your host system to build with.

All of the reasons for this revolve around the idea of having a clean
toolchain to build your LFS system with.  Its really a lengthy topic, if
you search the LFS archives you will find a complete history (all most)
of the "pure lfs"/"clean toolchain" saga.

Nick