LFS over USB Flash

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Feb 3 08:47:40 PST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 jinx at mail.iiit.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed a small LFS 5.0 system which now boots over ide. I have
> RedHat 9 as my host system.
> I am now trying to boot this over USB CF (I have a 128MB USB 2.0 pen) and
> using a VIA EPIA-M board as the booting platform. I have to reflash the
> VIA BIOS to ver 1.13 to recognise USB 2.0, which I have done.
>
> I have included SCSI support inbuilt into the LFS kernel and also applied
> a patch to slow down the loading for USB devices (as described at
> linux-usb.org in the FAQ section. The patch is obtained here -
> http://www.lammerts.org/software/kernelpatches/usb-storage-root.patch)
>
> I then change the fstab to have root point to /dev/hda1 (for the VIA) and
> edit the menu.lst to also point to the /dev/hda1 for root.
> On the VIA, grub loads the kernel but after that the kernel stops with the
> following error lines:
>
> Kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-3, errno=2
> VFS: Cannot open root device "hda1=/" or 03:00

 At a guess, you haven't compiled ide into this kernel.  I say that
because the system is trying to load ide as a module (often a bad idea
with recent kernels, it tends not to get built correctly), which must
mean it knows that it doesn't know how to access block major 3.  Or
alternatively you've gone to the trouble of putting it into an initrd
and it didn't work (e.g. there were errors when you ran depmod at the
end of `make modules_install'.

> my menu.lst is as follows:
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/lfskernel root /dev/hda1 ro
>
> I have this same kernel and filesys booting over my harddisk perfectly. I
> don't know why modprobe fails at this point.
> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated since I am now completely
> out of ideas.
>
> thanks in advance,
> jinx.

 If you've got the _exact_ same kernel booting from the hard disk, are
you using an initrd to do it ?  If so, something went wrong with
creating the initrd for the pen.  If you aren't using an initrd, are you
sure this is the exact same build of the kernel ?

Ken
--
Brighton tops UK Jedi league