LFS over USB Flash

jinx at mail.iiit.net jinx at mail.iiit.net
Tue Feb 3 06:18:56 PST 2004

Hi,

I've installed a small LFS 5.0 system which now boots over ide. I have
RedHat 9 as my host system.
I am now trying to boot this over USB CF (I have a 128MB USB 2.0 pen) and
using a VIA EPIA-M board as the booting platform. I have to reflash the
VIA BIOS to ver 1.13 to recognise USB 2.0, which I have done.

I have included SCSI support inbuilt into the LFS kernel and also applied
a patch to slow down the loading for USB devices (as described at
linux-usb.org in the FAQ section. The patch is obtained here -
http://www.lammerts.org/software/kernelpatches/usb-storage-root.patch)

I then change the fstab to have root point to /dev/hda1 (for the VIA) and
edit the menu.lst to also point to the /dev/hda1 for root.
On the VIA, grub loads the kernel but after that the kernel stops with the
following error lines:

Kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-3, errno=2
VFS: Cannot open root device "hda1=/" or 03:00

my menu.lst is as follows:
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/lfskernel root /dev/hda1 ro

I have this same kernel and filesys booting over my harddisk perfectly. I
don't know why modprobe fails at this point.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated since I am now completely
out of ideas.

thanks in advance,
jinx.