Opps!

K. Mike Bradley kmb at mikienet.com
Mon Feb 2 18:01:21 PST 2004

Here is what I found and it points to the LFS 5.0 book needing to be fixed I
think.

CH 5 ... BinUtils-2.14 Pass 1 says:
mkdir ../binutils-build

DO sum stuff ....

Warning:
Do not yet remove the Binutils build and source directories.
You will need them again in their current state a bit further on in this
chapter.

More steps between pass 1 and pass 2 then ...

CH 5 ... BinUtils-2.14 Pass 2 says:
mkdir ../binutils-build

DO sum stuff ....

Warning:
Do not yet remove the Binutils source and build directories.
We'll need these directories again in the next chapter in the state they are
in now.

What gives here? It says to keep Source and Build as they are for pass 2.
Then as soon as we start pass 2 it say "replace BinUtils-build".
I'm confused.

I assume here that the steps between BinUtils Pass 1 and Pass 2 need and use
the BinUtils Source and Build dir?
Then when we start pass 2 we just delete them?
The book is Clearly not clear on this.

Then in Ch 6 ... BinUtils-2.14 says:
mkdir ../binutils-build

Etc .....

Again ... Why did we keep the Source and Build dir?

I just don't understand this at all.

Question 1:
I thought we simply untar'ed the source to a dir then built in a new and
separate Build dir which should have left the source just as it was when it
was untar'ed? Is this correct? The "configure" with the --prefix=/tools put
it all in the tools right?

Question 2:
Then in CH 5 pass 2 we discarded the build and began making a new one. But
if it all went into the tools dir on pass one and two, then why did we have
to keep these from pass one to two, and then again from pass two (CH5) to
CH6?