LFS 5 on OLD machine

tbdewey at earthlink.net tbdewey at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 2 16:48:11 PST 2004

Howdy

I'm a newbie to both Linux and LFS. I'm working on installing LFS
5.0 (stable) on an old Dell Pentium 200 (pre MMX) with 64 MB
mem. The host is SuSE 8.2.  I'm using the first 5 gig of a 30 gig
drive for LFS. SuSE is on the other 25, as is the swap partition per
Chap. 3.  If anyone has done this version on a machine this old, I
would appreciate knowing if:

glibc took 11 hours to make, check and install, gcc took 6, etc.,

the gcc part of the testsuite in both the Chap 5 second pass and in
Chap 6 had 7 failures due to timeouts on the gcc-torture-compile
tests.

Due to circumstances within my control but evidently beyond my
competence, I have done this three times, now, and the times and
errors have been essentially the same each time, so I've just
chalked it up to the age of the machine. But I'd like to hear from
someone if they think this is unreasonable.

Thanks alot.

tom