Assessing the binutils/glibc TLS bug

Andrei A. Voropaev av at simcon-mt.com
Thu Dec 30 06:13:14 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 12:50:30PM +0000, Matthew Burgess wrote:

> So, for those that have seen this problem could you clearly answer the
> following questions:
>
> 1) Which package failed to build (and was this in chapter 5 or 6)?
> 2) What version of binutils does your host system have?
> 3) What version of binutils did you install in chapter 5?

In my case, I was installing under Knoppix.

First it failed with building glibc in ch 5. Trying to avoid it I've
built it with the binutils from Knoppix. Then I've proceeded with the
rest of chapter 5. When in Chapter 6 I started to build glibc, I've hit
the same problem again. Then I've removed everything and rebuilt the
tools and the system with binutils-2.15.

Too bad, that I've gone pretty far with configuring my new system to
wipe everything out again and try from scratch :)

I *may* install the latest binutils now, and then try to recompile my
glibc. I'll let you know how it worked.