kernel panic: no init found.

Matthias B. msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Thu Dec 30 04:50:49 PST 2004

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:04:55 +0700 (WIT) "joe" <ody at inf.its-sby.edu>
wrote:

> I've made LFS 6 through chapter 9 .
> Finished install grub in /mnt/lfs, then I edit the fedora's  grub.

If you have executed the Grub installation instructions from the book,
then your Fedora's Grub is probably dead and gone (depending on where you
installed your LFS Grub). Make sure you're editing the correct menu.lst.
When you boot, do you get the Grub menu and does it show all the menu
entries that it should?

> then reboot, then the message was:
> "Warning : unable to open initial console"
> "Kernel panic : No init found. Try passing ini= option to kernel"
>
> Then I passed "init=/bin/sh", but still stuck.
> What happen with my lfs?
> thx.

You are probably passing no or an incorrect root=  Parameter to the
kernel. Your kernel line has to look like this:

kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/hda4

/dev/hda4 has to be replaced with your LFS partition. In the Grub boot
menu, go to the entry for your LFS and select "Edit" (I think you have to
press the "e" key). Check if it shows the correct kernel line.

MSB

--
Life is the ultimate cynic.