glibc-2.3.4-20040701: error with libc_pic.a

Andrei A. Voropaev av at simcon-mt.com
Thu Dec 30 03:27:08 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 03:16:05AM -0800, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:

> >>DO NOT downgrade binutils!  Binutils versions prior to 2.15.94.0.2 are
> >>what causes this in the first place!  Try building your initial binutils
> >>and gcc's dynamic instead of static and see what happens.
> >>

> >Well. YMMV. In my case it resolved all problems.
> >
> But, you're susceptible to the problem again now that your binutils
> doesn't have the stripping problem fixed.  Your current libc.a is going
> to be missing the TLS symbols.

Ok. I'll keep in mind that building statical version of programs might
fail for this reason. Since I don't do it normally I should be safe for
most of the time. (Unless there's something else). But I had only 2
alternatives: either to have the system with that problem, or not to
have the system at all. Because it looks like a chicken and egg problem.
If I compile new binutils with old library, then they are broken and
won't compile new library. And if I compile new library with old binutils,
then I have broken library again :)