BUG in the initscripts -- was udev boot problem

Andrei A. Voropaev av at simcon-mt.com
Thu Dec 30 02:46:13 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 08:49:58AM +0100, Schafer Frank wrote:

> > Hmm. Following your logic, your S00halt and S00reboot should be passed
> > the 'start' parameter, and not 'stop', as it is done right now :)
>
> Right, that is what we're doing here. We are starting the final halt or
> reboot. What's wrong with this?

Nothing. But in lfs (and in many other distributions) the rc0 and rc6
scripts ALWAYS get 'stop'. Both for S and K links. This leads to lots of
confusion. Personally, I would prefer consistent behaviour in regard to
S and K links. S always gets 'start' K - 'stop'. Even in rc0 and rc6.
Then either of 2 is possible

a) In rc0 we would put S00halt, and this script internally
would handle 'start' parameter to do actions necessary for halting.

b) Use K00halt, then the script internally would handle 'stop' paramenter.

Well, YMMV.