LF 6.0 machine boots to grub cmd prompt

Steve Prior sprior at geekster.com
Wed Dec 29 07:33:27 PST 2004

Last night I rebuilt my new box using the LFS 6.0 livecd and the
ALFS profile on it.  After it was done I edited the menu.lst file
to use the correct partitions (yes I'm aware of the 0 based naming
for partitions in grub), then ran grub to setup the drive.  It said
that it found the menu.lst file and seemed happy.

Then when I rebooted the machine, instead of showing the grub menu
with a 30 second timeout, it just took me to a grub command line
prompt.  I was able to use root/kernel/boot commands to then bring up
the system.  There is only LFS 6.0 installed on the system so grub only
has entries for that one thing in menu.lst.

I haven't figured out why grub didn't go to the full screen menu for
booting the default kernel.  Any ideas for what might be causing this?

Thanks
Steve