BUG in the initscripts -- was udev boot problem

S. Anthony Sequeira tony at sequeira.org.uk
Wed Dec 29 06:10:35 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 12:49 +0100, Schafer Frank wrote:
> Hmmm,
>
> Maybe I'm using SysV tooo long. (About 25 years) All U*XES I know
> UNmount filesystems on system halt or reboot except ''/'', which will
> be
> mounted ro.

You got me there, I have been using them for about 15 years.  And all
the Unices I know that use SysV deal with S* scripts in runlevels 0 and
6 specially.  I first came across this in Solaris.

Here is a discussion from about 5/6 years ago.  I'm sure a bit more
digging would bring up some more, but I really have other things to do.

I may be wrong and will be happy to be corrected.

{Quote}

5. Halt/reboot

  Going to runlevel 0 or 6 will cause the system to be halted or
rebooted,
  respectively. For example, if we go to runlevel 6 (reboot) first
  all /etc/rc6.d/KXXxxxx scripts will be executed alphabetically with
  "stop" as the first argument.

  Then the /etc/rc6.d/SXXxxxx scripts will be executed alphabetically
  with "stop" as the first argument as well. The reason is that there
  is nothing to start anymore at this point - all scripts that are
  run are ment to bring the system down.

  In the future, the /etc/rc6.d/SXXxxxx scripts MIGHT be moved to
  /etc/rc6.d/K1XXxxxx for clearity.

{/End Quote}

Watch the wrapping.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/linux.debian.devel/browse_thread/thread/e9befc62835fd227/7371177371ea2ebb?q=sysvinit+S+runlevel&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fq%3Dsysvinit+S+runlevel+%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#7371177371ea2ebb
--
If there are epigrams, there must be meta-epigrams.