udev boot problem

Tobias Gasser tg at ebp-gasser.ch
Tue Dec 28 09:53:42 PST 2004

Kevin P. Fleming schrieb:
> Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:
>
>> 1. sysfs is not mounted
>> 2. there's no /sbin/udev 3. There's some stale /dev/.udev.tdb file
>
> Number 3 here is a likely cause, since if you ran "udevstart" while
> chrooted into your new system, but _without_ mounting a tmpfs on /dev,
> then udev put all the device nodes and its database on the _real_ /dev
> directory in your new root filesystem.
>
> You need to make sure that directory has _nothing_ in it except
> /dev/console and /dev/null, and no dot-files.

i always place some hdaX in the real directory, depending on which
partitions the system depends on (actually my build-script just creates
hda + hda1 - hda6 [nice math, istntit?]).

after playing arround with udev (and not always understanding all the
whats and whys) i decided to always create the nodes required to be able
to start the system.

not really nice, but working!

tobias