udev boot problem

Andrei A. Voropaev av at simcon-mt.com
Tue Dec 28 05:33:06 PST 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 01:39:16PM +0100, Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 08:57:58AM +0100, Schafer Frank wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've built a LFS 6.0 system. If I chroot into it, mount everything due
> > to chapter 6 and start udev, then all devices come up gracefully.
> > If I boot the new system using grub from the build system only the root
> > partition get checked. fsck for the /boot partition and the /usr/local
> > fails with ''/dev/hdc[14] device not found''. So does swap (/dev/hdc2).
> > The boot continues and dies with ''tty[1-6] respawning too fast'' and in
> > the end ''no processes left in this runlevel''
> > Seems udev doesn't create devices if I boot into this system. Build and
> > target system are using the same kernel.
> > Has anyone met this?
> >
> > ... with a modified fstab, of course ;)
>
> Yep. I've hit almost the same problem and exactly today. Is it special
> day? :) In my case init scripts just report that device for swap partion
> was not found and then system was halted. I'm trying to figure it out now.

Ok. Assuming that rcsysinit.d scripts are executed (and they are since
messages about mounting swap show up :) we have only 3 things that may
prevent udev from running.

1. sysfs is not mounted
2. there's no /sbin/udev
3. There's some stale /dev/.udev.tdb file

I'll check my system later today. You may check yours now :)

> > If this will be solved ... I'm not too wise from the grub info pages.
> > Can I install grub in this way:
> >
> > 	grub> root(hd2,0)
> > 	grub> setup(hd2)
> >
> > and then in the menu.lst for this installation:
> >
> > 	title LFS
> > 	root (hd0,0)
> > 	kernel /bzImage.20041227 root=/dev/hda3
> >
> > where /boot is on the first and / on the third partition of the third
> > disk of the build system which I move to the first HD of the target
> > system?

Well. I'm not sure I've understood your words "which I move to the first
HD of the target system". What do you mean by "move". Are you going to
reconnect the hard drive? Or you are going copy all data from one disk
to another?

The commands root(hd2,0) setup(hd2) initialize MBR of the /dev/hdc. I'm
not sure if it will be loaded, since by default the MBR of /dev/hda is
read. Anyway. Supposedly you reconnect your drive so that it becomes
first drive. Now you say that on this drive your linux partition is 3rd.
So in menu.lst you should say root (hd0,2) and not root (hd0,0).

Now, if your linux is on 3rd partition, then most likely your
/boot/grub/stage1 file is also located on that same partition. If it is
so, then your root(hd2,0) setup(hd2) would fail. Correct would be root
(hd2,2) setup (hd2)

Andrei