udev boot problem

Schafer Frank Frank.Schafer at t-systems.cz
Mon Dec 27 23:57:58 PST 2004

Hi all,

I've built a LFS 6.0 system. If I chroot into it, mount everything due
to chapter 6 and start udev, then all devices come up gracefully.
If I boot the new system using grub from the build system only the root
partition get checked. fsck for the /boot partition and the /usr/local
fails with ''/dev/hdc[14] device not found''. So does swap (/dev/hdc2).
The boot continues and dies with ''tty[1-6] respawning too fast'' and in
the end ''no processes left in this runlevel''
Seems udev doesn't create devices if I boot into this system. Build and
target system are using the same kernel.
Has anyone met this?

If this will be solved ... I'm not too wise from the grub info pages.
Can I install grub in this way:

	grub> root(hd2,0)
	grub> setup(hd2)

and then in the menu.lst for this installation:

	title LFS
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /bzImage.20041227 root=/dev/hda3

where /boot is on the first and / on the third partition of the third
disk of the build system which I move to the first HD of the target
system?

... with a modified fstab, of course ;)

Thanks in advance
Frank