Get a newer version of e2fsck?

Michael Kipper mkipper at rogers.com
Sun Dec 26 16:00:44 PST 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote:

> Michael Kipper wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Got my LFS 6.0 built with Fedora Core 3, then I rebooted and tried to get
>>into my system.
>>I got the error that went something like:
>>e2fsck.ext3: Unsupported features on (lfs/)
>>Get a newer version of e2fsck.
>>
>>I checked that FC3 has e2fsck 1.35, and that's what I built into LFS.
>>I rebuilt it, just to be sure, and got the same error.
>>
>>What have I done?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Michael
>>

> This was discussed recently on list.  FC3 uses some custom stuff in
> their ext2utils that isn't supported in the regular tarball, which
> causes the error.
>
> -J-

I rebuilt a copy of e2fsprogs on my host system, in my home dir, and
reformatted the partitions with it. I rebooted, and it worked just fine.

However, I couldn't load my /home partition, which was formatted with FC3 by
putting it in /etc/fstab. But when I logged in to my LFS system, and did a
"mount /dev/hdb7 /home", that worked just fine. Why can I mount in the
system, and not through fstab? I don't have enough room to tar up /home,
and reformat the partition.

FYI:
[root at ganymede ~]# tune2fs -l /dev/hdb5 | grep -i features # LFS/
Filesystem features:      has_journal filetype sparse_super
[root at ganymede ~]# tune2fs -l /dev/hdb6 | grep -i features # LFS/usr
Filesystem features:      has_journal filetype sparse_super
[root at ganymede ~]# tune2fs -l /dev/hdb7 | grep -i features # /home
Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode filetype
needs_recovery sparse_super large_file

I don't know how to use tune2fs to remove the ext_attr and resize_inode
features. Those keywords don't show up in the man page.

Thanks,
Michael