How wold you bacl up LFS?

Matthias B. msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Sun Dec 26 07:39:53 PST 2004

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 03:10:41 -0800 Jeremy Utley <jeremy at jutley.org> wrote:

> Tar will work just fine, in fact I use this regularly to transfer a LFS
> built on my 2500 machine over to my 400MHz.
>
> Simply do:
>
> cd /mnt/lfs && tar cjvfp lfs.tar.bz2 .

It should be mentioned that you should NOT tar a running system, i.e. DO
NOT do the above if you're chrooted into the system in question. If you
do, tar will try to tar up files from sys, dev and proc, too. Reading some
files from proc is DANGEROUS, so this has to be prevented. You can use the
--one-file-system switch of tar to prevent it from entering the virtual
filesystems in question.

MSB

--
2+2=5, for moderately large values of two.