How wold you bacl up LFS?

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Sun Dec 26 03:10:41 PST 2004

charlie wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>

> Supose you have lots of computers exactly the same.
> First, you take one of them and install LFS, let's say on one sole
> partition /dev/hda.
>
> If i want to dplicate it, what would you recommend:
> 1) tarballing /
> 2) dd the /dev/hda partition and make a ghost of it.
>
> i don't know if 1) works fine, as i'm not sure of how tar backups
> symlinks, nodes and others no standard files.
>
> 2) sounds great, however i feel a bit concerned about disk space and
> ghosting an entire partition wastes a lot of space, since a basic LFS
> system is quite small. In addition, all my partitions on all the
> computers have to be the same size, and i can't change the fstype, am
> i wrong?
>
> So, if you have hints on this, thanx for your advice.
>
> regards
> CH COLLIN

Tar will work just fine, in fact I use this regularly to transfer a LFS
built on my 2500 machine over to my 400MHz.

Simply do:

cd /mnt/lfs && tar cjvfp lfs.tar.bz2 .

Then move the tarball to your other machine and do:
tar jxvfp lfs.tar.bz2

set up the bootloader, and any other needed steps, and you're fine!

-J-