Undefined reference to yyparse (binutils)

Thomas Krause Forum.ThomasNoSpam.Krause at gmx.de
Sat Dec 25 05:49:28 PST 2004

When making the first pass of the binutils in LFS 6.0, I encounter the
following error when I start make LDFLAGS="-all-static":

../../binutils-2.15.91.0.2/binutils/ar.c:148: undefined reference to
`yyparse'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [ar] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/lfs/sources/binutils-build/binutils'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/lfs/sources/binutils-build/binutils'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/lfs/sources/binutils-build/binutils'
make: *** [all-binutils] Error 2

I've searched google for this problem and found an advice to install flex,
bison and m4 first. I downloaded the rpm packages and installed them without
problems, but it still don't work.

I use Suse 9.1 Personal as my host system which does miss many packages like
gcc or glibc-devel. So I had to installed many things already.

I will try to find a newer version of binutils to compile, but I don't know
if this will work together with the other sources of LFS...

Thanks,
Thomas Krause