Can't mount vfat partition

jaca jherold at interia.pl
Fri Dec 24 17:44:15 PST 2004

Hello dienadel,

d> Hello,

d> I'm with LFS-6.0, and don't know why i can't mount the windows partitions
d> (they are vfat, W98). This happen even as root.

d> What i have always done:
d> mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /mnt/windows

d> Now, the error i have is:
d> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda2,
d>        or too many mounted file systems

d> Here is the kernel configuration:
d> [*] MSDOS fs support
d> [*] VFAT (Windows-95) fs support
d> (437) Default codepage for FAT
d> (iso8859-1) Default iocharset for FAT
d> [ ] NTFS file system support

d> /dev/hda2 is corectly created by udev, the /mnt/windows exists.

d> With LFS-5.1 i can correctly access to the windows partition (the same way
d> explained before), but only with kernel-2.4. If i started with a kernel of
d> the 2.6 series, the error was the same.

d> I've read the /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/vfat.txt, but
d> nothing.

d> I don't know what can be wrong.

d> any help?

d> Thanks

d> dienadel

Are you sere that this filesystem is not mounted - check /proc/mounts

--
Best regards,
 jaca                            mailto:jherold at interia.pl