fatal: kernel too old on lfs6

Don Shuff donito at woh.rr.com
Thu Dec 23 09:26:47 PST 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:52:48 +0000 (GMT)
Ken Moffat <ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Don Shuff wrote:
>

> > ... and my shiny new LFS 6 system with kernel 2.6.9 boots just fine.
> > My problem was basically a misunderstanding on my part of what I can
> > do with LILO.  I thought I could use LILO installed on distro 1 on
> > /dev/hda2 to boot distro 2 on /dev/hda4.  It will work if you copy the
> > distro 2 kernel to /boot on distro 1 like I have done above but I
> > guess the more apropriate way is to install LILO on my LFS system as
> > well.
> >

>  Using lilo on multiple partitions, make sure you upgrade them all to
> the same version, otherwise you may not be able to run an older version
> after a newer.  You also need to have a rescue plan, in case the lilo
> you last wrote to the mbr doesn't work (happened to me in the spring,
> I'm sure lilo and libc-headers get along fine now, but forewarned is
> forarmed).

I'll definitely keep that in mind.

>  Depending on what you plan to do with this box, it may make sense to
> keep all the kernels once, on one filesystem, and chroot into that to
> run lilo (or any other non-grub boot manager, such as yaboot).
>
> Ken
> --

this was mainly a test drive for me to get a feel for the building process.  I plan on giving LFS the whole drive next time around.  I guess I should just stick with the book and go with Grub, I was just used to LILO being a long-time slackware user.

Thanks for the help!

-Don