fatal: kernel too old on lfs6

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Thu Dec 23 08:52:48 PST 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Don Shuff wrote:

> ... and my shiny new LFS 6 system with kernel 2.6.9 boots just fine.
> My problem was basically a misunderstanding on my part of what I can
> do with LILO.  I thought I could use LILO installed on distro 1 on
> /dev/hda2 to boot distro 2 on /dev/hda4.  It will work if you copy the
> distro 2 kernel to /boot on distro 1 like I have done above but I
> guess the more apropriate way is to install LILO on my LFS system as
> well.

 Using lilo on multiple partitions, make sure you upgrade them all to
the same version, otherwise you may not be able to run an older version
after a newer.  You also need to have a rescue plan, in case the lilo
you last wrote to the mbr doesn't work (happened to me in the spring,
I'm sure lilo and libc-headers get along fine now, but forewarned is
forarmed).

 Depending on what you plan to do with this box, it may make sense to
keep all the kernels once, on one filesystem, and chroot into that to
run lilo (or any other non-grub boot manager, such as yaboot).

Ken