fatal: kernel too old on lfs6

Don Shuff donito at woh.rr.com
Thu Dec 23 06:38:30 PST 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:38:51 +0100
"Andrei A. Voropaev" <av at simcon-mt.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 01:42:02PM -0500, Don Shuff wrote:
> > Upon booting my new LFS-6.0 system I get:
> >
> > FATAL: kernel too old
> >
> > any ideas.??
>
> Just guessing.
>
> 1. Are you sure that you were starting 2.6.8.1 kernel?
> 2. Could it be that you have used 2.6.9 headers instead of 2.6.8.1?
>
> Andrei

Man do I feel silly...  Yes the nALFS logs verify the use of the 2.6.8.1 headers.  Since last time, I thought I would try a 2.6.9 kernel.  So I used the LFS-6 bootcd to compile and install the 2.6.9 kernel on my LFS 6 partition.  Rebooted.  Same error "kernel too old".  At this point I'm thinking maybe the 2.4.22 kernel on /dev/hda2 is actually what is being used. So I start to look at my LILO config.  I must admit, at this point I do not have LILO or GRUB installed on my LFS partition (/hdev/hda4).  So.... I copied my 2.6.9 kernel to /boot on /dev/hda2 and changed Lilo.conf from this:

#####################
image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hda2
  label = slack
  read-only

image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hda4
  label = LFS
  read-only
#####################

to this:

#####################
image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hda2
  label = slack
  read-only

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9
  root = /dev/hda4
  label = LFS
  read-only

... and my shiny new LFS 6 system with kernel 2.6.9 boots just fine.  My problem was basically a misunderstanding on my part of what I can do with LILO.  I thought I could use LILO installed on distro 1 on /dev/hda2 to boot distro 2 on /dev/hda4.  It will work if you copy the distro 2 kernel to /boot on distro 1 like I have done above but I guess the more apropriate way is to install LILO on my LFS system as well.

sorry to be so long winded...  I'll go hide under a rock somewhere...

-don