character coding

J. Greenlees jaqui at telus.net
Thu Dec 23 02:19:47 PST 2004

Frère Jacques wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've got a curious problem with character encodings in LfS 6.0.
>
> Characters which are not 7-Bit-ASCII (äöüß, €, áèîç etc.) are handled
> inconsistent. "ä" for example is sometimes handled as "ä", sometimes
> handled as "?" and sometimes handled as "\344". An example:
>
> root at mypc01 ~ $ echo $LANG, $LC_ALL
> POSIX, POSIX
> root at mypc01 ~ $ touch äöü߀
> root at mypc01 ~ $ ls
> ?????
> root at mypc01 ~ $ rm äöü߀
> rm: remove regular empty file `\344\366\374\337\244'? y
>
> It's interesting that bash shows the filename correctly when I type "ls
> " and press the tab-key, while "ls" itself shows the wrong filename
> ("?????"). It seems to me that all "coreutils" tools work wrong while
> everything else works correctly. (I installed Coreutils-5.2.1 as
> described in chapter 6.15.)
> I tried to reinstall coreutils, but it didn't help.
>
> Any ideas? Can someone help me?
>
> Thanks
>

> Frère

how about looking at the internationalisation and locale data files for
the keyboard / your locale?
should have the character map needed to point the system to in order to
read the non 7 bit characters in one of them.

Jaqui

only plain text format email accepted.

smaller file size, no virus transfer
no proprietary file formats.