character coding

Andrei A. Voropaev av at simcon-mt.com
Thu Dec 23 01:00:11 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 10:44:16PM +0100, Frère Jacques wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've got a curious problem with character encodings in LfS 6.0.
>
> Characters which are not 7-Bit-ASCII (äöüß, €, áèîç etc.) are
> handled inconsistent. "ä" for example is sometimes handled as "ä",
> sometimes handled as "?" and sometimes handled as "\344". An example:
>
> root at mypc01 ~ $ echo $LANG, $LC_ALL
> POSIX, POSIX
> root at mypc01 ~ $ touch äöü߀
> root at mypc01 ~ $ ls
> ?????
> root at mypc01 ~ $ rm äöü߀
> rm: remove regular empty file `\344\366\374\337\244'? y
>
> It's interesting that bash shows the filename correctly when I type "ls
> " and press the tab-key, while "ls" itself shows the wrong filename
> ("?????"). It seems to me that all "coreutils" tools work wrong while
> everything else works correctly. (I installed Coreutils-5.2.1 as
> described in chapter 6.15.)
> I tried to reinstall coreutils, but it didn't help.
>
> Any ideas? Can someone help me?

With ls things are simply. Try to add --show-control option. And you'll
get your characters in the output. With rm things are more difficult.
The program simply does not want to display the characters as they are.
It substitutes them with octal codes. Reading thru the man I couldn't
find any options that would change it.

Andrei