character coding

Frère Jacques frerejacques at gmx.de
Wed Dec 22 13:44:16 PST 2004

Hi everyone,

I've got a curious problem with character encodings in LfS 6.0.

Characters which are not 7-Bit-ASCII (äöüß, €, áèîç etc.) are handled
inconsistent. "ä" for example is sometimes handled as "ä", sometimes
handled as "?" and sometimes handled as "\344". An example:

root at mypc01 ~ $ echo $LANG, $LC_ALL
POSIX, POSIX
root at mypc01 ~ $ touch äöü߀
root at mypc01 ~ $ ls
?????
root at mypc01 ~ $ rm äöü߀
rm: remove regular empty file `\344\366\374\337\244'? y

It's interesting that bash shows the filename correctly when I type "ls
" and press the tab-key, while "ls" itself shows the wrong filename
("?????"). It seems to me that all "coreutils" tools work wrong while
everything else works correctly. (I installed Coreutils-5.2.1 as
described in chapter 6.15.)
I tried to reinstall coreutils, but it didn't help.

Any ideas? Can someone help me?

Thanks

Frère