fatal: kernel too old on lfs6

Don Shuff donito at woh.rr.com
Wed Dec 22 10:42:02 PST 2004

Upon booting my new LFS-6.0 system I get:

FATAL: kernel too old

any ideas.??

Here's my setup...

Host system (P4 2.8):
	slackware10.0 originally kernel 2.4.26 upgraded to 2.6.9
	gcc-3.3.4
	glibc-2.3.2

Target system (celeron 400):
	slackware 9.1 kernel 2.4.22
	gcc-3.2.3
	glibc-2.3.2

Used nALFS with profile 6 to compile and install into a loopback mounted filesystem, but did not compile a kernel or configure grub.

Everything compiled just fine.

Tarred up /mnt/lfs and transferred tarball to target system that had a spare partition (hda4).  Mounted /dev/hda4 to /mnt/lfs and extracted tarball.  Mounted virtual filesystems per beginning of chapter 6 and chrooted into /mnt/lfs.  Compiled and installed kernel 2.6.8.1.

Configured the target systems bootloader (LILO) to boot the 2.6.8.1 kernel on /dev/hda4.

Starts to boot fine but then get the kernel error mentioned above.

Kind of a wierd way of going about it but I wanted to compile it on a faster machine because it would have taken forever on the celeron 400.

I made sure that glibc was configured with the --enable-kernel=2.6.0 option.  Is it identifying 2.6.8.1 as being older than 2.6.0.  ?

Would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions.  I'm having a blast with this...!

-Don