LFS 6.0 Binutils 1st pass - configure log shows errors

Barry Sharpe aukz72 at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Dec 20 12:47:56 PST 2004

Hi
I am not overly worried about this error. However, i have tried 3 times now to
compile binutils-2.15.91.0.2 without the following errors,

configure:2214: checking for correct version of gmp.h
configure:2227: gcc -c -g -O2   conftest.c 1>&5
configure:2217:17: gmp.h: No such file or directory
configure: In function `main':
configure:2221: error: `choke' undeclared (first use in this function)
configure:2221: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
configure:2221: error: for each function it appears in.)
configure:2221: error: parse error before "me"
configure: failed program was:
#line 2216 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include "gmp.h"
int main() {

#if __GNU_MP_VERSION < 3
choke me
#endif

The log then goes on too test for various programs such as bison.
I am figuring the error is produced because the program gcc has just not been
installed yet. In trying to understand the error i have come to the
conclusion that configure after failing on the check for gmp.h has
initialised an identification routine but i fail to see the significance of
choke me i see the error "choke" and then on line 2221 the parser error
before "me". In fact the only thing i can think of is humour perhaps?

Barry

My host system is SuSe 9.1, Linux 2.6.4-52-default, gcc 3.3.3 suselinux,
-I686-pc-Linux-gnu, ld.linux.so2
LFS 6.0 on hda3,ext2
Toshiba Satellite Pro6100