problems with first pass binutils

Markus Mahlberg markus.mahlberg at web.de
Mon Dec 20 04:26:48 PST 2004

Olaf Gruettner wrote:

> I am working on lfs 6.0
> I repeatedly have problems compiling the binutils package
> it must have something to do with PATH of binaries and linker path, but
> i am not sure.
>
> i am able to configure
> but make configure-host gives me an
>
> Configuring in libiberty
> configure: creating cache ./config.cache
> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles...
> no
> checking for makeinfo... makeinfo
> checking for perl... perl
> checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-ar... ar
> checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-ranlib... ranlib
> checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C
> compiled programs.
> If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
> See `config.log' for more details.
> make: *** [configure-libiberty] Error 1
>
> does this make sense to someone?
Seems to me that there is an environment var not set correctly.
Try
# env -i PATH=$PATH ../binutils-2.15.91.0.2/configure --prefix=/tools \
--disable-nls && \
env -i PATH=$PATH make configure-host && \
env -i make LDFLAGS="-all-static"

If this works there might be an environment variable like CPU set;
check this with "env" and unset the respective variable with

"unset <name of variable>"

You have to do this everytime you log in or you can change ~/.profile a/o
/etc/profile a/o the repective files in /etc/profile.d

Regards,

Markus