File overwrite

Markus Mahlberg markus.mahlberg at web.de
Mon Dec 20 03:38:04 PST 2004

Ken Moffat wrote:

>> /usr/info/dir
>> bison, diffutils, findutils, flex, grep, groff, make, glibc
>>

>  Aren't they just "refreshing" this, the way we do near the end of the
> book ?

Actually not. I packaged the LFS-5.1 book as rpms an experienced the
same problem, basically rendering the info system useless.
But there is a workaround for this:

1) remove /usr/info/dir
2) use the script in LFS-5.1 for rebuilding the /usr/info/dir file

>> /usr/info/dir.old
>> bison, diffutils, findutils, flex, grep, groff, make, glibc
>>

>  Looks like a backup file.
>
>> /usr/man/man1/{chmod, chgrp, rm, mkdir, dir, du, ln, ls, install, touch,
>> mv, chown, rmdir, mknod, dircolors, mkfifo, vdir, dd, cp, df}.1
>> man-pages, coreutils
>>
>> /usr/man/man1/diff.1
>> man-pages, diffutils
>>
>> /usr/man/man3/getspnam.3.gz
>> man-pages, shadow
>>
>> /usr/man/man5/passwd.5
>> man-pages, shadow
>>
>> /usr/man/man1/{groups, su}.1
>> shadow, coreutils
>>

>  I can't remember which versions of these programs we run.  Might be ok,
> I'm sure somebody knows.

I didn't double-check it, but it seems to be ok.

>> /usr/man/man5/{syslog, syslog.conf}.5
>> sysklogd, inetutils
>>

>  Similar comment to groups and su man pages.

Uhm, I think inetutils shouldn't overwrite the manpages provided by
sysklogd, as these are the log-daemons which are run. Therefore theses
parts of the documentation of inetutils shouldn't be installed.
However, this problem doesn't affect the book, as sysklogd is installed
after inetutils and there is a patch which prevents inetutils installing
any server-manpages. I assume the "no_server_man_pages" wasn't applied, was
it?

Regards,

Markus