Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs

Markus Mahlberg markus.mahlberg at web.de
Mon Dec 20 03:21:46 PST 2004

Clark, David A., SGT - 75th Rangers wrote:

> FIRST, THE N00B INTRODUCTION STUFF:
>
> Hi. My name is David. My friends at work call me Sparky, and it worked as
> a user name. A while back, I first made the switch from Windows to Linux,
> and found Gentoo to be a good starting point for me. I was never happier.
> :)
>
> Lo and behold, my wife--who is, incidentally, not very savvy with these
> sort of things--hated it. Naturally, I installed Windows again to sleep
> better at night, but I left half of my disc blank for the day I'd install
> Linux again.
>
> Fast forward a few months, and I found LFS, which a couple people talked
> about on the board as "the way to go if you really want to learn Linux". I
> downloaded the most recent book, packages, and patches; burnt one of the
> Live CDs; and off I went. I followed along with the book without a
> hitch--learning a LOT along the way--all the way until after the part
> where you reboot, register, and enjoy.
>
> NEXT, MY N00B PROBLEM:
>
> Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs
>
> I'm not a total idiot, and I THOUGHT I knew how to fix the problem, until
> everything I knew to check checked out.
>
> So, I checked the FAQ, and here's where I'm at...
>
> Q: Did you specify the correct partition in /etc/lilo.conf?
> A: Menu.lst applies to me because I'm using Grub. Windows is installed on
> /dev/hda0,
          ^
Uhm, one might call me stupid, but there is no hda0. Should be on hda1.

> Linux on /dev/hda4 (ext3),
Just a thought:
hda4 is supposed to be the extended partition. By using hda4 as an primary,
you will be unable to add any partitions (e.g. home which is useful for
backups). It may be an restriction of the MS-compatibility mode to have
only 4 primary partitions (though I am not sure about this at the moment),
but as you use MS your pinned to this. Better idea would be to repartition
your disk in a way that hda4 becomes the extended partition, hda5 becomes
the root-partition (don't forget to do an backup first). With this setup you
will even be able to add logical dos-drives to the extended partition
(don't use MS-fdisk for it!)