faillog, lastlog

John Harrigan harriganj at adelphia.net
Wed Dec 15 21:29:45 PST 2004

I built an LFS-6.0 system and I've noticed that faillog and lastlog
aren't quite working.  I selected both of them in /etc/login.defs
but only lastlog is accumulating data; faillog doesn't even exist.

lastlog seems to be accumulating the correct data about the location
of the last login, but it's not recording any login times.  Here is
an example:

Username         Port     From             Latest
root             tty2                      **Never logged in**
nobody                                     **Never logged in**

'who' on the other hand, shows the correct login time.

This is my first LFS system so it's very likely that I missed
something in the install, but I can't figure out what it is.
I'm using shadow-4.0.6 and the shadow ftp site appears to be
offline, so I can't try 4.0.4.  Any help would be appreciated.