missed a link in gcc

DHAJOGLO DHAJOGLO at smumn.edu
Tue Dec 7 15:34:35 PST 2004

I just noticed that somehow (probably because I wasn't paying attention at the time) I missed the following step in chapter 6 under the GCC install:

ln -s gcc /usr/bin/cc

And as such all of my packages after that which were made using cc flag were made against the cc in /tools/bin/cc.

One (or rather THE) major difference I noticed is when building from the /tools/bin/cc (s-linked to /tools/bin/gcc) is the search path;  the new gcc was compiled with --prefix=/usr rather --prefix=/tools.

excerpts from cc -v dummy.c:
===
Reading specs from /tools/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.3/specs
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
 /tools/include
 /tools/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.3/include
End of search list.
===

whereas the gcc compile of the same file showed:
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.3/specs
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
 /usr/local/include
 /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.3/include
 /usr/include
End of search list.

The specs files are the same but I imagine I have complied against the /tools/include headers files for several (if not all) of the packages.  When /tools/include goes away am I going to have problems such that reinstalling everything after I change that link is the only way to fix it?

-dave